Good news! There may be a minimum age for reading middle-grade but there’s no maximum age.
Why will you love middle-grade historical fiction?
- Well-crafted novels – Charming characters and captivating settings are needed for quality historical fiction. Literature has standards, no matter the target age.
- Loads of action – Children are in front of screen an average of 5-7 hours per day (stat from Medlineplus.gov). Authors use action to grab and hold a middle-grader’s attention.
- Surprises – Who doesn’t love a good plot twist? Authors use this writing tool to keep readers guessing.
- Heart-wrenching scenes – A terrible accident leaving a character devastated or an unexpected kind gesture from an unexpected source. Childhood can be intense and confusing. Fictional childhoods are no different.
- Informative details – Historical fiction writers at all levels are serious about historic details.
- Fast-paced plots – Middle-grade novels keep the stakes high. Try to keep up!
- Smaller word counts – Smaller word-count plus fast-paced action makes most middle-grade historical fiction a quick read.
Have a favorite middle-grade historical fiction novel? Please leave it in the comments.