What an exciting day! I received word that A Little Wicked had been named to the “Back to School Recommended Reading” list by BookWorks, a fabulous organization dedicated to Indie authors and their craft. Find the lists for all age groups here!
Being named to a list like this is wonderful recognition for A Little Wicked but is also a great way to learn about other books recognized on the list. I am looking forward to a new reading list.
Thank you BookWorks!
Use historical fiction in the classroom as a tool for honing writing skills. This plan is useful after the class has read a middle-grade historical fiction novel together.
♦ Objective: Broaden students’ understanding of character motivation
♦ Activity: Create and compare two Motivation Maps
- Draw the outline of a person on the board or with an overhead projector. You can use craft paper and make it life size.
- Ask students to write personality traits of the main character inside the outline, one at a time.
- Ask students to write outside influences on the main character outside the outline, one at a time. Include influences specific to the time period.
- Have students draw the outline of a person on their own large sheet of paper.
- Have them copy all the outside influences from the class outline to their own.
- Ask students to write their own personality traits inside the outline.
♦ Discussion: Ask students how they would react differently than the main character did to the outside influences and why.
Find more lesson plan ideas at Marcie Colleen’s website. Share your experiences in the comments.
A Little Wicked Guide – free PDF download
“…readers will learn a lot about resilience and Scottish identity.” – Publisher’s Weekly
Now that A Little Wicked is available in libraries across the country (and a little in Canada!), it’s a good time to repost the link to the FREE A Little Wicked Curriculum Guide written by Marcie Colleen. It is an excellent resource for homeschool families, librarians, book clubs, teachers and other educators.
Remember the multi-talented and effervescent Marcie Colleen has written many amazing curriculum guides for picture books as well as middle grade. Take a look!